This famous Dutch cemetery is located on St Paul’s Hill next to the replica of the Melaka Sultanate Palace. This tomb was used at the end of the 17th century. There are 5 Dutch Cemeteries and 33 British Cemeteries in this cemetery. This cemetery was used in two stages between 1670-1682 and later between 1818-1838.
During the Dutch period, this cemetery was used as St Anthony’s Kerkhof. When the British took over Melaka in 1795, they initially used the St. Paul’s Hill area as their cemetery and only used this cemetery from 1818. The first British to be buried in this area were Captain John Kidd, a ship captain, and the last person buried in this area was the wife of a British officer in 1838.
Most of the British tombs found here consist of the army and naval graves. Besides, there are also some wives of British military officers buried here. The tomb that attracted the attention of the public was the tomb with a monument on it where the graves of two British military officers who had died during the war between the British and Naning in the interior of Melaka in 1831 and 1832, were buried.
This cemetery is gazetted as a national monument under the Bendapura Act 1976.
Operation Hour : Open 24 hours.
Contact Number : 06-283 6538.
Address : Dutch Graveyard, Jalan Kota, Bandar Hilir, 75000 Melaka.